Wednesday, January 20, 2010

January 2010 poems

Sunrise
by Mary Oliver

You can
die for it --
an idea,
or the world. People

have done so,
brilliantly,
letting
their small bodies be bound

to the stake,
creating
an unforgettable
fury of light. But

this morning,
climbing the familiar hills
in the familiar
fabric of dawn, I thought

of China ,
and India
and Europe , and I thought
how the sun

blazes
for everyone just
so joyfully
as it rises

under the lashes
of my own eyes, and I thought
I am so many!
What is my name?

What is the name
of the deep breath I would take
over and over
for all of us? Call it

whatever you want, it is
happiness, it is another one
of the ways to enter
fire.

Seventh of January
By Megan Brett
The wise kings have come and gone,
mistletoe and pine are down from the doorway,
and the tree, poor thing, sits outside in the cold,
nature-bare and free of its holiday dress.
The clay creche has been careful wrapped away,
and the angels have come off the mantle.
All the sparkling trappings of Christmas
gone from the house
(but not, says the hopeful Spirit, from our hearts).

33°

By Karen Claussen

lazy

flakes

of

snow

as

big

as

dreams

are

falling

ever

so

slowly,

and

I

jogging

in

the

park

with

my

dog,

am

made

witness

to

the

covenant

that

life,

despite

its

cold

its

chaos

and

its

brevity,

is

still

something

of

a

miracle

No comments: